Larry Wilmore Supports Fellow Purveyor of Fake News Brian Williams


Larry Wilmore expressed hissolidarity with Brian Williams on The Nightly ShowMonday night, addressing the embattled NBC Nightly News anchor as a fellow purveyor of fake news before trying to explain why its understandable he got his stories crossed.Once I reported I cold cocked George Foreman in his grill, Wilmore joked. Turns out, I just put cold cuts on a George Foreman Grill.

To Williams credit, Wilmore explained, the newsmans confusion over events that did or didnt take place while he was reporting in Iraq are a perfect metaphor for the entire war on terror. From doubts over WMDs to the troops still deployed in the Middle East, Americas relationship with this war has never been clear cut. Our new nemesis ISIS isnt making things much easier, Wilmore cracked:Even Al-Qaeda said, Hey hey hey, slow your terror roll. I mean, were dicks, but you guys are just plain unreasonable. Thats an exact quote from Al-Qaeda.

Wilmore is just a handful of episodes into his tenure as host of The Nightly Show, which replaced The Colbert ReportafterStephen Colbert stepped down to prep for his new gig as host of CBS The Late Show. Each episode of The Nightly Showfeatures a rundown of the days news, la The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, followedby a field piece or interview and subsequentpanel discussion.

In an interview with Rolling Stone prior to the shows debut, Wilmore explained how Stewart pitched him the show: His basic idea was there were lots of underrepresented voices out there that deserve to be heard. He envisioned it as a Daily Show/panel show, with me hosting it. I was surprised he had me in the middle of the bulls-eye. My jaw just kinda dropped. I went, OK sure. That sounds great.'