Comedian Taran Killam Regrets Trump Endorsement on SNL


Comedian Taran Killam still regrets playing a part in what he calls the endorsement of then-presidential candidate Donald Trump in November 2015, when the real estate mogul hosted Saturday Night Live.

In retrospect, for me and its mostly about my personal experience with it and how I feel about it, I think as time goes on, and our current president kind of reveals his character or lack thereof I personally have a hard time of having been involved in the endorsement of that, he told Conan OBrien on Monday. Its not necessarily a critique of the show, but boy, its really hard to have played a part in offering a platform for, promoting for someone who I find Im constantly disappointed in.

Last week, the former SNL cast member opened up to NPR about his experience working with Trump on the November 7th episode. He recalled how protesters outside NBCs studios were shouting, No Trump! Donald Trump! and how hed felt embarrassed, upon reflection, just because of how everyone was right.

Taran Killam Says It Was 'Rough' Having Donald Trump Host 'Saturday Night Live'10 Things You Didn't Know About the Beatles' MusicCan DNA Tests Help You Find the Best Weed?

On Monday, Killam remembered how Trump had made an odd and telling remark during the casts host dinner that should have been a forewarning about how things would shake out should he win the elections. It was tense, Killam told OBrien with a laugh. But I will say, specifically to Lornes credit, if he has someone hosting, theyre a guest in our house, as he puts him. I admire him for that. Its a tricky one.

And again, upon reflection, and just my personal experience with it, he said something at the host dinner that I at the time found shocking and now moreso, where they were talking about, Wow, youre running for president, what a big thing to take on! [Trumps] like, You know, listen. If I dont win this thing, Im going to be fine. We just bought this huge property in Scotland. If I have to be president, Im never gonna see that thing!'

OBrien commented that it seemed like a weird thing to be concerned about while running to become leader of the free world. Killam agreed.

And by the way, when hasnt he been golfing? Of course hes found the time to get there.