Ric Ocasek on Working With Billy Corgan for New Album, How He Invented Himself


This interview originally appeared in the April 17, 1997 issue of Rolling Stone

You knew he was tall, but when Ric Ocasek walks out of the Blue Room at the Chung King House of Metal, in New York, you realize hes impossibly tall and reedlike to the point of being wispy. The man whom those over 25 know as the former leader of New Wave icons the Cars (and those under 25 know as the producer of Weezer and Nada Surf) is here recording his fifth solo album; Smashing Pumpkin Billy Corgan is producing a few tracks, though hes nowhere in sight.

Ocasek shakes your hand and gently holds it while he scans the studio for a place to talk. Leading you into a private room, this rather soft-spoken man proceeds to fold himself into a very small space on a leather couch.

How do you know when its time to make a new album? Do you break out in a rash or something?
A bit of a mental rash, actually. I put it off until I feel like its been too long and Im just inspired by everything in the moment. I havent done that in about three years because I was in so many productions. So I just waited, and I wrote a lot in the meantime maybe 60 songs. Its hard to choose which ones will end up on the album, so I ask friends and family and see what they like.

Paulina Porizkova Remembers Ric Ocasek's 'Incredible Gentleness'Watch Red Hot Chili Peppers Pay Tribute to Ric Ocasek With 'Just What I Needed' Cover40 Greatest Animated Movies EverMarty Stuart on Making Ken Burns' 'Country Music'

How did Billy Corgan get involved? Did you meet when you produced one of Holes singles?
No, I actually met Billy at a gig. It was at Roseland a year ago. I went backstage to say hi, and he comes to New York frequently, so he called me, and wed go out. Then it was just: Do some songs with me, if you would. I love his music. I think hes just such a musical genius, and I love his perspective on arrangements.

What a convoluted arrangement: Ric Ocasek is a friend of Billy Corgan, who dated Courtney Love of Hole, whose single was produced by Ocasek, whos being produced by Billy Corgan.
Yeah. But its no different than in the Forties, where big bands had lots of members who went from group to group.

Is this Billys maiden production voyage?
You know, Im not sure. I mean, hes certainly competent in the studio.If Im his first outside project, hes doing a darn good job.

Tell me about the cavalcade of stars appearing on the album.
I was just trying to put a band together to rehearse, and I wanted to use some musicians from bands that I worked with. So Melissa Auf der Maur of Hole is playing bass. I also used Ira Elliot, the drummer from Nada Surf; Brian Baker, from Bad Religion; and Greg Hawkes, my old keyboard player.

What are going to be your favorite adjectives to describe this album?
Troublizing, which is a made-up adjective and the title of one song. HmmI guess certainly different than past records. And crazy. [Laughs.]

When you produce, do you shape the bands sound, or are you more like the wind beneath their wings?
I basically want a band to feel like theyre not going to get the wool pulled over their eyes, and feel that what they want is what theyll get, and not because I have an idea about shaping their sound or whatever. Its like: Dont read your poems to somebody who isnt a poet.

What do you say to people who predicted that your marriage to supermodel Paulina Porizkova wouldnt last?
[Laughs.] Oh, we used to laugh about that. We were the perfect couple not to make it [laughs]. But were as happy as you can imagine, and we have a beautiful three-year-old. We act like we just met a couple of days ago. Were still having fun and ready to have another baby well, I mean, theres none in the womb, but were thinking about it. Maybe well shoot for a girl this time, if one can shoot for things like that.

Do you want your sons to follow in your footsteps?
I just want them to feel inspired to live on the planet and not get discouraged with life, and make sure that they pursue what they feel they ought to. If they want to collect stamps, make sure they collect stamps 100 percent of the time for 25 years. I think the most important thing is to try to find work or something that you love, but its also probably the hardest thing. Life in general is more generic and less artistic. Its a hard thing to pull your mind away from the shit and feel positive about where things are going. It depends on how much TV news you watch.

With all the regroupings, people must be offering you tons of money for a Cars reunion.
People have in the past, but I think theyre tired of asking me. I dont even respond, because I have no interest. Id rather paint, or write, or do anything else. Its something that was already done, and those records are already locked away. Im going into the future. As a rule, Id rather live in the future than the past. If I had a choice between going a thousand years in the past or a thousand years in the future, Id pick the future, without a doubt.

You know something? You look amazing.
Oh, how sweet! It must be all my wifes creams theyre really working.

How on earth did you invent yourself?
You know, I didnt, really. I think I just came out this way. I dont know why. I just grew up in Baltimore and went through funny times and made some decisions to go a certain way. Ive always been viewed as sort of a weird person, but that kind of rewarded me later.

Youre respected as a weird person.
Yeah! Old weird Ric thats me.