See Gary Clark Jr.s Vision of Rural America in What About Us Video


Gary Clark Jr. has released a black-and-white music video for his latest single What About Us,which features on the guitarists forthcoming politically charged albumThis Land.

The video for the trackwas directed bySavanah Leaf and showcases a group of people living and spending time in a trailer park: a black father teaching his son to play the electric guitar, a senior mixed-race couple smoking and two gender-fluid millennials spending time in an inflatable pool.

In a recent interview withRolling Stone, Clark said he considers This Land the most important song hes ever penned. Its about being black in America, in the South, he told RS. Clark also revealed that the wanted to be known for more than just the blues, which is why his new record spans reggae to Prince-like epics.

I wanted every note and lyric to mean something, he told RS. With the records Ive made before, theres so much emphasis on guitar: Well just play a badass guitar solo, and no one cares about the lyrics. Thats not what I got into it for. I like Quincy Jones. I like Stevie Wonder. I like Ray Charles. I like Cab Calloways arrangements. I like bridges, pre-choruses. Thats something I never really paid attention to.

Gary Clark Jr. will also make his debut asSaturday Night Livemusical guest on tonights episode.This Land is set for release March 1st.