Grammy Preview 2020: Gary Clark Jr. Is Ready to Be More Than a Tribute Dude


First-round Grammy voting is currently underway, and running through October 10th. For our 2020 Grammy preview, we asked a series of likely contenders to reflect on their past experiences at the ceremony, look ahead to the future, and break down the albums and singles that could earn them a statue come February.

Gary Clark Jr. has only fragmented memories of watching the Grammys as a child in the 1980s. I have a vision of Lionel Richie and his big Afro, he says. I remember seeing Little Richard, Ray Charles, Cyndi Lauper, sparkly costumes, and big trophies. It was the excitement of someones name being announced and the whole room lighting up. He never could have imagined his name would be the one to light up the room, but in 2014 he found himself at the ceremony after his debut LP, Blak and Blu, racked up nominations for Best Rock Song and Best Traditional R&B Performance. It remains one of the most amazing nights of his life.

Eric Clapton, Gary Clark Jr. Highlight New Crossroads Festival Live LPGrammy Preview 2020: Sheryl Crow on Idolizing Stevie Nicks, Raising Kids in Troubled TimesWar of the CrowesPerforming With Missy Elliott, 17 Years Later

Tell me about learning you had been nominated for two Grammys. It must have been shocking.
Yeah. I was absolutely shocked. I never thought Of course, I wanted to be there and I always dreamed of it, but I didnt think on my first album Id be nominated for two Grammys in two totally different categories. I always knew I wanted to be a diverse artist and kind of be respected for that, doing whatever I wanted to do, so to be acknowledged by the Academy like that, I was like Wow. This is happening.

Its the ultimate validation.
Actually, when I found out I was nominated, I got to be honest with you, I felt like I could breathe a little bit. I was confident in myself, obviously, because I love doing it. I didnt care what anyone thinks, but I was trying to make a life out of it and kind of be a rebel with a cause or without a cause, depending on who you are. People were like, I dont know what to do with you. I dont know who that is or who youre trying to be. And here I was. This was the Recording Academy, the Grammys. They see whats up, so screw you all [laughs].

Tell me about walking the red carpet and what it was like to be at the ceremony the first time.
I was really nervous. Im getting nervous thinking about me being nervous right now. I was a hot mess, all sweaty on the carpet. Everyone is around. I was being acknowledged. Artists Id seen forever were near me, like Jill Scott. I was like, What the hell is happening? And then doing interviews on the red carpet. I had never done anything that major, so I was like, Try not to say anything stupid. Make sure you dont have anything on your face. Try to be cool. Youre in here. Try to enjoy the moment. I was a nervous wreck.

You were up for Best Rock Performance against Muse, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and the surviving members of Nirvana with Paul McCartney. Thats a crazy group of people to be competing against.
Yeah [laughs]. I knew I wasnt going to get that one [laughs]. I knew that was not going down, but I was looking up there at the screen where they had everyones face. I was like, I cant believe this. There were boxes of us sitting there when they said, And the nominees are And I was up there with Dave Grohl and Paul McCartney. My face is up there with their faces. It was crazy, but it was awesome.

And the entire country is looking at your facial expression.
Yeah. I dont know if I played it cool. I knew I wasnt going to win that award. I dont know if my face did, though.

You did win Best Traditional R&B Performance. What was it like when they read your name?
Man, that was crazy. That was unbelievable. I wasnt expecting to win. When you hear them say and the Grammy goes to and they call your name, I was in shock. Everything kind of went slow-motion for a little bit. I was looking around at everyone in my row, like my family, everyone that worked on the label and kept pushing. Everything just kind of slowed down and I flashed back to being on the road in the van with a trailer and traveling all over, traveling this album, the first time I got my guitar. And then Jimmy Jam was handing me my Grammy.

I remember thinking, I dont know what to say. My manager Scooter [Weintraub] was like, You know, everyone has a speech prepared just in case because people kind of get wrapped up in the moment. It might seem crazy, but you might want to do that. I was like, No, thats kind of a douche move. And so I went up there. I dont know what I said. I was probably a hot mess. I thanked a few people, but probably not everybody. My knees were shaking. I was like, Try and get out of here before you faint.

Then you played with Keith Urban that same night.
Yeah! That was crazy, man. That was I was just nervous. I try to be as cool as I was, but I was like, Im performing at the Grammys and Im performing with Keith Urban. Hes this country artist, a major artist, and Im just some dude from Texas. I was playing one of his songs and I didnt know the words. We just had one rehearsal. I was worried I would mess it up, and sure enough I did. I flubbed one of the lyrics. I survived it. The worst thing that could happen is you mess up a lyric on the Grammys. And I did.

The next few years, they kept calling you back. You did the B.B. King tribute, the Albert King tribute, the Fats Domino tribute. You became their go-to tribute guy.
Yeah. It has been incredible to honor those artists. Whenever they call me, I try to be as respectful as I can and show my appreciation.

I was watching the MusiCares Grammy tribute to Tom Petty where youre playing one of his songs and hes watching from the side of the stage. That must have been amazing.
Oh, yeah. Its also intimidating. I gotta be honest about it. Youre performing a song by one of the greatest songwriters of all time and theyre there watching. Youre just like, Shit. I dont want to be here, man. I do not want you standing there.

And then the Grammy Beatles salute when you played a Beatles song to Paul and Ringo.
Yeah. Those are really cool moments when you get through them and you dont mess them up. Its just wild, man, to be performing these peoples songs in front of them. It was cool to be with Joe Walsh and Dave Grohl. They made everything so easy and so fun. I love those guys.

I would love to see you do This Land or another one of your originals at the next Grammys and not another cover song.
Yeah. Being a tribute dude is cool, but, shit, I dont know anybody that doesnt want to perform their own records at the Grammys. Im ready.

I think this album is it. Its gotten a really good response. You must be feeling that.
Yeah. [These songs] have been incredible to play live. They keep getting more powerful. Im ready if they are.

Are thinking yet about your next record, or can you not think that far ahead yet?
I went straight from doing the record to being out on tour. Im always doing something creative. Ive got ideas, but Im not even thinking about putting another album together. Right now, at the moment, when I get a little bit of time, Ill see what I got and put something together. But Im in the moment right now. Im on tour and trying to make the band as tight as possible.

You seem to take a nice step up with each album.
Yeah. I think its just a natural progression of being older and trying to be better. Luckily, its been a great response. Its been a trip going from small clubs to amphitheaters to bigger festivals and having these slots. Im enjoying the moment now. Its feeling good.

Youre proving you dont need a big Top 10 hit to play these big venues. There are other ways to do it.
True. But, you know, if I could get one in the Top 10, that wouldnt hurt.

But radio is so tough these days. Its for teenagers.
Yeah, but for me, it was the same way. When I was a kid listening to the radio, my folks were like, What the hell is that? It took me to be exposed to live shows and be exposed to music venues and hanging out with other people that listened to other music to open up my eyes. I think the radio is a great way to introduce people to the idea of music. Theres levels to it. Im trying to be on all of it.