Winona Ryder Confirms Shes in Talks for Beetlejuice 2


Winona Ryder may be joining the cast of Beetlejuice 2, the sequel to Tim Burtons 1988 horror-comedy, the actress told with The Daily Beastin a recent interview. Im kind of sworn to secrecy, Ryder said. But it sounds like it might be happening.

Rumors of a second Beetlejuice began circulating last month when news slipped out that Burton was in talks to direct and that Michael Keaton was expected to reprise his role as the titular wisecracking ghost. The script was written by Seth Grahame-Smith author of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer, which Burton produced, as well as the script for Burtons Dark Shadows and takes place a few decades after the original.

Where Does Tim Burtons Batman Rank AmongCaped Crusader Flicks?

Its not a remake, Ryder said. Its 27 years later. And I have to say, I love Lydia [Deetz, her character] so much. She was such a huge part of me. I would be really interested in what she is doing 27 years later.

Ryder did acknowledge the concerns that some fans have expressed over a sequel. Its a very precious movie to people. So there are a lot people like, DONT.' But the actress seems excited for it nonetheless, mentioning that if Burton and Keaton werent involved she likely would have passed as well (coincidentally, last year Ryder starred in the video for the Killers Here With Me, which Burton directed).

Grossing $73.7 million and taking home the Academy Award for Best Makeup, Beetlejuice proved to be a boon for Burton, Keaton and Ryders careers, something the actress still acknowledges. Thats one of those movies where little kids stop me, Ryder said. Im so associated with it. I think it gave me my career. I was such a weird looking kid.