James Franco: Sexual Misconduct Allegations Not Accurate


James Franco addressed multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against him when the Golden Globe-winning actor appeared on Late Show With Stephen Colbert Tuesday.

At the Golden Globes, Franco was among the actors to wear a Times Up pin at the award show, a sign of solidarity with the women who started the movement. However, Francos pin drew criticism on social media, particularly from actress Ally Sheedy who, while not getting into specifics in a since-deleted tweet, hinted that working with Franco in an off-Broadway play was one of the reasons she quit acting.

On Tuesday, Colbert pressed Franco about the controversy over the actor wearing the pin as well as the allegations made against him on social media, with the actor calling the accusations not accurate.

First, I want to say that I do support [Times Up]. Look, I was so excited to win but being in that room that night was incredible. It was powerful and there were incredible voices, and I support it. I support change, Franco said.

Time's Up: Golden Globes 2018 Tackles Sexual Assault With Mixed Results100 Best Albums of the '90s40 Greatest Animated Movies Ever

There were some things on Twitter I didnt read them. Ive heard about them. Okay, first of all, I have no idea what I did to Ally Sheedy. I directed her in a play Off Broadway. I had nothing but a great time with her, total respect for her. I have no idea why she was so upset. She took the tweet down. I dont know. I cant speak for her, I dont know, Franco added. The others, look, in my life I pride myself on taking responsibility for things that Ive done. I have to do that to maintain my well-being. I do it whenever I know that there is something wrong or needs to be changed, I make it a point to do it. The things that I heard that were on Twitter are not accurate, but I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice because they didnt have a voice for so long. So, I dont want to shut them down in any way. Its a good thing and I support it.

In addition to Sheedys tweets, another actress named Violet Paley accused Franco of pushing my head down in a car towards your exposed penis in a tweet as well as allegations that the actor pursued 17-year-old girls, an accusation that was similarly levied on Franco four year ago that he admitted to.

In light of the accusations against Franco, the New York Times canceled a planned TimesTalk event with the actor about the making of The Disaster Artist, with a spokesperson for the newspaper adding in a statement, Given the controversy surrounding recent allegations, were no longer comfortable proceeding in that vein.

Colbert also asked Franco how to reconcile accusations against him with his assertion that the allegations are inaccurate. The way I live my life, I cant live if theres restitution to be made, he said. I will make it. So if Ive done something wrong, I will fix it. I have to. I mean, I think thats how that works. I dont know what else to do.

I really dont have the answers and I think the point of this whole thing is that we listen, he added. You know, there were incredible people talking that night. They had a lot to say, and Im here to listen and learn and change my perspective where its off, and Im completely willing and want to.

Watch below:Actor and filmmaker Tommy Wiseau made for the microphone before James Franco pushed him aside at the Golden Globes; heres what he wanted to say.