The Last Word: Jimmy Kimmel on Twitter Anxiety, Axl Rose and Space-Age Toilets


When Jimmy Kimmel Live! launched in 2003, George W. Bush was still in his first term as president. Now on the verge of 50, Kimmel has inherited the mantle of late-night master from his hero, David Letterman; has become one of President Trumps most relentless comedic critics, albeit with a grin; and on February 26th, hell face his largest audience to date when he hosts the Oscars. Who the hell knows whats going to be going on that weekend? he says in regards to his awards-show preparation. I could be something that happened that morning that needs to be addressed. You really have to be very nimble. The comedian fills us in on his problem with social media, the criticism he faced after joking about Kim Kardashian being robbed and why his most extravagant purchase was a futuristic toilet.

You once tweeted that your hobbies include updating software. Were you kidding?
I do do that. But Im more focused on charging electronic devices. And not just my own. If I see somebodys phone sitting there and its down at, like, 40 percent, it gives me a little bit of agita and, if I can, Ill plug it in. People are always a little bit confused, but they appreciate it. Its like people who never let the gas in their car get below half. Im one of those people too. It says I need to chill out. I need to be medicated is probably what it says.

Jimmy Kimmel to Host Oscars for First Time in 2017Axl Rose to Talk Guns N' Roses on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'Sugar Ray's Mark McGrath: 5 Songs That Make Me Cry5 Devices You Need to Set Up Your Smart Home

How has social media impacted your job?
It used to be you were only competing with other television shows for jokes. Now you have to compete with Twitter. Before you go on the air, you have to scour the Internet to make sure 25 people havent already tweeted a version of a joke youre going to do. And people dont understand that we tape the show at 5:00 and it airs at 11:30. Theyll go, You stole that joke from me. And I say, I was in bed by the time you made that joke.

You love to cook. What does that have in common with comedy?
Maybe I just like positive feedback. Maybe theres some neediness in me. Maybe my mother gave me too much attention as a kid and I need to keep filling that bucket.

Whats the most indulgent purchase you ever made?
I have a very expensive toilet that warms up and fires a very powerful stream of water up my ass. Its a couple of thousand dollars, but itll change your life in a very positive way. Ive gotten used to it, and now I feel like the toilet is being rude when I walk into a bathroom and it doesnt rise for me.

Who are your heroes?
The first name that comes to mind is Howard Stern. I started in radio, and Howard wasnt always this successful multi-millionaire. He was just another guy with a family trying to hang on to a low-paying radio job. It wouldve been easy for him to play ball and do what his general manager told him to do. But he didnt do that. He jumped right into uncomfortable situations, even if they complicated his life. And 99.9 percent of people wouldnt have the spine to do that.

Youre one of the few people whos interviewed Axl Rose lately. What was that like?
I actually hung out with him after the show we went to the hotel next door and talked for a long time. Hes a very engaging guy, which I would not have guessed would be the case. You could have a real deep conversation with him. No matter what issues hes had with Slash and the rest of the gang, he loves them and just wanted to talk about it with someone. He was telling me his side of the story. I dont want to violate his confidence, but I got the sense they would eventually get back together.

What was your favorite book as a kid, and what did it say about you?
I loved The Catcher in the Rye. It was a little maroon-covered paperback, and as ridiculous as it might sound, the reason I picked it off the shelf in the first place is because I played catcher on my little league team. Im not sure I knew what a phony was before I read that book but after I did, I just knew I didnt want to be one.

Whats the best part of success?
Meeting the people you admire. I got to spend last weekend with Bill Murray and David Letterman when they gave Bill the Mark Twain Prize. We had dinner in the Supreme Court building in D.C. Sonia Sotomayor came right up to me and chatted. I had to stop and take stock of the fact that I was talking to a Supreme Court justice. But, honestly, the best thing is I get to hire everybody. I work with a relentlessly funny group of people every day, including my cousin Sal. My brother and my wife work here too. My best friend since I was nine-years-old is my bandleader.

And the worst part of success?
The way success affects your relationships with family and friends. Sometimes there are expectations that are impossible to meet for a variety of reasons. Theres a lot of focus on you, and sometimes you just want to be a member of the family. And its hard to just be that. The one place you dont want to be treated differently is when youre at a family birthday party. I go overboard trying to be considerate and to help where I can, because I never want anyone to think Ive changed.

Whats the best advice you ever received?
The first good boss I had gave me some good advice. My radio partner and I were doing something dumb that was only funny to us, and he told us, Youre jerking yourselves off. I think about it a lot when Im going through ideas from the writers: They think its funny to work my agents name into a comedy bit, which always gets a big laugh in rehearsal, and I always think, Oh, were jerking ourselves off.

My dad told me, When in doubt, order the hamburger, which was probably the second-best piece of advice I ever got.

What did you make of the flak you received after joking in your monologue about the Kim Kardashian robbery?
I dont even remember. What was the joke?

It went, Somehow these guys found the one moment this decade that this woman wasnt surrounded by 40 people with cameras.
Right, I did say that. Oh, fuck those people. People are mad about things theyre not even mad about nowadays. Find real things to be mad about is good advice. People attacking Steve Martin for saying Carrie Fisher was beautiful youve got to be kidding me. Its crazy. Everyone is looking to tear everyone else down constantly.

You and your family moved to Las Vegas when you were about seven. Whats the most Vegas thing about you?
My life is an all-you-can-eat buffet. Ive never brought home a doggy bag, because I always eat everything given to me unless its terrible. Even when I was like a kid, if I had $10, I would eat $10 worth of lunch. I didnt know any kind of limits: Youre living in a town that has 49-cent shrimp cocktails, and it warps your perception. To this day, when I look at a box of pasta and I realize its eight servings thats crazy. To me, one box is one serving.

You took on Tim Kaine in a harmonica battle during the run-up to the election. Are you a serious harmonica player?
I have nine of them in front of me right now. The one song I can really play is Piano Man. Huey Lewis also played the harmonica, so I got one and kept it in my car and I would play it in there.

Huey Lewis really had an impact on you.
He has been like an older brother or uncle to me. He got me into fly-fishing. His son works here at the show, in the social-media department.

Youre keeping the Huey Lewis legacy going.
Well, somebody has to.