Weird Al Succeeds Kid Cudi as Comedy Bang! Bang! Bandleader


Weird Al Yankovichas signed on as the new bandleader/co-host ofComedy Bang! Bang!, Scott Aukermans absurdist IFC talk show. The parody master will follow rapper Kid Cudi, who held the position for 20 episodes, and musical improv-comic Reggie Watts (now James Cordens side-kick at The Late Late Show), who appeared in the first 70 episodes.

If you would have told me, when I was a teenager, listening and laughing along to Als In 3-D album, that one day I would partner up with him, I would have asked who you were and how you got in my room. Then I would have politely shown you the door.Because thats how I was raised, Aukerman said in a statement.

Production is underway for the shows upcoming fifth season, which will air 20 half-hour episodes starting this spring. Yankovic made five Bang! Bang! appearances since the programs 2012 debut, most recently as the featured guest on the aptlytitled 2015 episode Weird Al Yankovic Wears a Different Hawaiian Shirt.Comedy Bang! Bang!marks the comic musicians first weekly TV series role sinceThe Weird Al Showin 1997.

Yankovics most recent LP, 2014s Mandatory Fun, includes parodies of Iggy Azaleas Fancy, Lordes Royals, Robin Thickes Blurred Lines and Imagine Dragons Radioactive. The album, his 14th overall, won Best Comedy Album at the 2015 Grammys.

It never gets old, Yankovic said during his acceptance speech. For the first week after Ive won a Grammy, I have it fixed to my forehead with woodscrews, like a Grammy unicorn. Then I take it off and put it on a shelf somewhere.