Watch Jon Stewarts Stunning Daily Show Departure Speech


After the taping of last nights The Daily Show, news began trickling out over social media and a subsequentComedy Central statement that the programs longtime host Jon Stewart had announced he was leaving The Daily Show. We can now watch as Stewart delivers the news to an unsuspecting audience withan emotional, thankful monologue.I would imagine that as this show is airing, there may be information out there that the audience might not be aware of, Stewart warns before dropping his bombshell.

The first sign that something was afoot was when Stewart bumped The Daily Shows nightly interview a little earlier in the program, giving himself room to make his big announcement at episodes end. Seventeen years is the longest I have ever in my life held a job by 16 years and five months, Stewart says. The upshot there being, I am a terrible employee. But in my heart I know it is time for someone else to have that opportunity.

Jon Stewart on 'Rosewater,' Springsteen and 'Sexual Tension' With Bill O'ReillyThe 15 Best Whistling Songs of All TimeCan DNA Tests Help You Find the Best Weed?

Stewart added that he doesnt have a clearend date or any firm decision on what his post-Daily Showschedule will be. I dont have any specific plans. Got a lot of ideas; I got a lot of things in my head. Im gonna have dinner, on a school night, with my family, who I have heard from multiple sources are lovely people, Stewart said.

This show doesnt deserve an even slightly restless host, and neither do you. I dont think Im going tomiss being on television every day. Im going tomiss coming here every day. I love the people here. Theyre the best, Stewart saidin closing out his big announcement. Its been an absolute privilege. Its been the honor of my professional life. And I thank you for watching it. For hate-watching it. Whatever reason you were tuning in for. You get in this business with the idea that maybe you have a point of view and something to express, and to receive feedback from that is the greatest feeling you could ask for, and I thank you.

Stewarts big announcement comes more than 10 months after David Letterman similarly stunned his audienceby revealing hed be retiring from The Late Show in 2015. Like Stewart, news of Lettermans departure spread on social media (thanks to R.E.M.s Mike Mills) before the taped announcement was broadcast that night. Amonth later, CBS revealed that Lettermans desk would be filled by Stephen Colbert, Stewarts longtime partner-in-satire in Comedy Centrals politically savvy 11 p.m. hour.

Read Jon Stewarts entire Daily Show speech:

Now, I would imagine, as this show is airing, there may be information out there that the audience is not yet aware of. So, I will just tell you. Doug Herzog and Michele Ganeless of Comedy Central gave me an incredible opportunity 17 years ago to pilot this wonderful franchise. And, 17 years is the longest that I have ever in my life held a job by 16 years and five months. Thank you. The upshot there being, I am a terrible employee. But, in my heart I know it is time for someone else to have that opportunity.

I told you they didnt know. You probably know. Not right away. Were still working on details. Im up in September it might be then. It might be December. It might be July. Were still working out details. I dont have any specific plans. I gotta a lot of ideas. Ive got a lot of things in my head. Im going to have dinner on a school night with my family, who I have heard from multiple sources are lovely people. Im not going to be here and try to sum up what this place has meant to me over the years. I couldnt do that and weve got plenty of time and Ive got a myriad people to thank and well get to that over time. Im not going anywhere tomorrow. But this show doesnt deserve an even slightly restless host and neither do you.

I dont think Im going to miss being on television every day. Im going to miss coming here every day. This is where I love the people here. Theyre the best. Theyre creative and collaborative and kind thats alliterative but its cheating because thats a K. You understand what Im saying. I love them and respect them so much.

What is this fluid? What are these feelings? Ahh. Frankenstein angry. Its been an absolute privilege. Its been the honor of my professional life. And I thank you for watching it, for hate-watching it. Whatever reason you were tuning in for you get into this business thinking that maybe you have a point of view and something to express and to receive feedback from that is the greatest feeling you could ask for and I thank you. Here it is, your moment of zen.