Cecily Strong Is Genuinely Happy About Weekend Update Shake-Up on SNL


If any Saturday Night Live fans felt miffed on behalf of Cecily Strong at the news that shes being moved out of the Weekend Update anchor deskand back into the regular cast, Strong wants them to know that shes actually pleased with the decision.

The comedian took to Instagram on Friday night to reassure fans that the move was a positive one for her. I dont see this as me leaving update, just as me being on update in a looser, goofier way that is a lot more fun for me and in a way I think Im better at, she wrote in the caption to a picture of herself snuggling her dog. And now I get to do features with the very funny and wonderful Michael Che! No point in being angry or sad for me for something Im genuinely happy about! Unless you are just a person who enjoys being angry or sad. Then I guess play on, playa. Also, I danced too hard last night so now I am wearing a hot pad on my neck. Be angry and sad for me about my dumbass neck.

NBC announced on Thursday that Che, who worked on SNL last season as a writer and previously appeared as a correspondent on The Daily Show, would be replacing Strong as Colin Josts Weekend Update co-anchor. Strong had joined the team at the beginning of last season, co-hosting the segment with Seth Meyers before Meyers left to host Late Night. When Che takes up his position behind the desk this season, hell become the first black Update host in the shows history.

The 40th season of SNL kicks off on September 27th with host Chris Pratt and musical guest Ariana Grande.