Flashback: See Dick Dale Ride Pulp Fiction Wave With Thrilling Miserlou


Wearing his trademark headband and a leather jacket, Dick Dale played a thrilling rendition of his hit Miserlou the theme music for Pulp Fiction on the U.K. music variety show Jools Annual Hootenanny in 1995. The guitarist, who died on Sunday, shakes his ponytail, he hollers and he grits his teeth as he commands the tunes breakneck tempo up until its bluesy final notes.

The song is best known as kicking in as Tim Roth and Amanda Plummer rob a diner and Plummer holds up her gun and threatens, Any of you fucking pricks move, and Ill execute every-motherfucking-last one of you! As Rolling Stone previously reported, the song itself is a Mediterranean folk tune whose title translates to Egyptian Girl (or, as author Alan di Perna once noted, more accurately it means Non-Christian Girl.) Dale released it as a single in 1962, but it failed to make the charts at the time, instead reaching a dedicated cult of music fans (including the Beach Boys, who followed Dales lead with a surfy version of the song on their 1963 LP, Surfin USA).

Flashback: Steve Perry Makes a Shocking Return to the Stage in 2014Flashback: Jackson Browne Performs a Heart-Wrenching 'Late for the Sky' in 1976Coming of Age: Millennials' Most Earth-Shaking Sexual MomentsCan DNA Tests Help You Find the Best Weed?

Having Misirlou as your opening credit, its just so intense, Pulp Fiction filmmaker Quentin Tarantino said in 1994. It just says youre watching an epic, youre watching a big, ol movie. . . It just throws down a gauntlet that the movie now has to live up to.

Part of what makes the song so incredible is the sheer brute force with which Dale plays especially live, like in the Jool clip. Im not some great guitarist like the Satrianis and the Van Halens, Daletold theWashington Postin 1993. I never went to school and learned music theory. When I play, I go, This sounds like a tiger; this sounds like a volcano; this sounds like the lip of the water coming over my head when Im surfing. My bass player says, When I stand behind you, I dont just see your arms moving, I see your shoulders shuddering, your back straining. Thats because I put all my physical force into my playing. I take people for a ride on a non-chemical wave of sound.