See David Gilmour Play Wish You Were Here on Guitar Hes Auctioning Off


Ahead of his massive guitar auction, David Gilmour explains how he fell into collecting instruments and his history with some of the more than 120 guitars hell be selling in a new video. The four-and-a-halfminute clip shows him playing the 12-string on which he wrote Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here, as well as a close-up of him playing the iconic opening notes of Shine On You Crazy Diamond on his famed Black Strat an instrument that auctioneers Christies expect will fetch between $100,000 and $150,000 this summer. That instrument, he says, was on every track he recorded from 1973 through the mid-Eighties.

My dream and ambition was to have a Fender, preferably a Stratocaster, Gilmour says in the clip. I loved it from the beginning. Buddy Holly played one. Hank Marvin played one. And that was enough for me. I just wanted a Strat.

The video also shows off his Fender Stratocaster with the serial number #0001 and a gold Les Paul he used for the solo on Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2). He says in the video that he hopes the guitars make a lot of money for charity.

In a wide-ranging interview with Rolling Stone this week, Gilmour said that he didnt want people to interpret the auction as a move towards retirement; this is simply cleaning house. Retiring is not a hard and fast thing for me in my life, he said. I dont really have to retire. I dont have to say those words. I dont have to state that have retired or anything like that. If I retire, it will be a quiet, unnoticeable process at some point. But Im not at that moment.