OITNBs Taylor Schilling: Why I Hate Social Media


taylor schilling

Taylor Schilling may have gotten famous on the Internet, but the 30-year-old star of Orange Is the New Black prefers old-school, intimate interaction, thank you very much. About doing press, she says, Every time I sit down to do an interview with someone, its kind of weird. Because if I was talking to you like a friend or getting coffee it would be a completely different conversation; its always a strange line to toe. One thing that the Netflix star is comfortable sharing with the public (in addition to: I dont have children. That was a tidbit) is that her reservedness extends only to strangers. In my relationships in life, Schilling says, I have certainly found that as I can share more of myself, my work feels clearer and then my relationships in life feel clearer, too.

During our interview with the actress for our Rolling Stone cover story on OITNB, we decided to grill her about her beef with social media and how being a celebrity in the Age of Oversharing has become way too complicated.

'Orange Is the New Black': Caged Heat'Orange Is the New Black': The Rolling Stone Photo Shoot100 Best Albums of the '90sEmmys 2019: 10 Biggest Snubs

So youre not the worlds biggest fan of the Web?
Sometimes I have a conflicted relationship with social media, I guess is more of the thing. But the Internet is great.

What sort of conflict are you having with social media? Are you guys in a fight?
Yeah, were working out our differences. Were totally in therapy. Personally, I think there are some people who are really suited towards seeing the world very observationally [so] its a really creative outlet. I just am not as good at it.

As good at doing it or as good at living with it?
Both. It stresses me out also. I prefer more one-on-one interactions about what people think of me, or how things are being impacted. I dont quite know how to interact with people [online]. It just makes me a little uncomfortable; I feel a little exposed, to be honest with you.

As a person who is on TV, would that not be the case either way?
Well, its not like: Lets watch an hour of Taylor Schilling talking about herself and observing her life. Its a totally different thing. But your question is exactly what I think the issue is because it confuses the idea of my job, which is being an actor, and then thinking that me being on TV for an hour is the same as me tweeting about my life.

If there was no Internet and you were on broadcast television, the guy at your deli would still be like, I know you!
I love that. I talk to the guy at my deli actually all the time about the show and whats happening and who his favorite characters are. He really still likes Pennsatucky more than me, which is one of the only people that Ive met that feels that way.

So you dont participate in the Age of Oversharing just because you dont want to.
Yeah. It does not add to my day. You know? Its not like, Oh, I cant wait to tweet. Im like, Oh my God, I have to think of something clever or smart to say. It feels like pressure it does not feel like fun to me. Maybe that will change and if we talk again in a year or something Ill have had an epiphany and be much more cavalier about the whole thing. Ive reserved the right for that to happen 110 percent. But its really good when Im around all these girls that I love, these Orange girls, because they are so good at it. Im like Oh, Ill tweet out that photo also. Sign me up! I feel very new to this whole game of how to have a public life and also a personal life. Im still feeling it out. Its a constant negotiation.