Bryan Cranstons Greatest Acting Challenge? A One-Man MLB Play


Bryan Cranston isnt basking in the warm glow of his recent Emmy and Tony wins; like any great actor, he lives to work (and, we suppose, works to live). So it should come as no surprise that hes already back with a brand-new project: A one-man play about Major League Baseballs postseason.

Inspired by his love of the game (and, strangely, Looney Tunes) Cranstons latest passion project finds him reenacting iconic moments from Octobers past Carlton Fisks famed homer in the 1975 Series, Kirk Gibsons shocking shot in 88, Derek Jeters backhanded flip in 01 on the Broadway stage. He performs solo, though he does get some pointers from Misty Copeland of the American Ballet Theatreand former World Champion Pedro Martinez.

I had been doing a lot of TV and movie work, and I felt it was just time for me to get back to the basics by diving right into my great passion: baseball, Cranston says. It would be my greatest acting challenge.

Of course, the whole thing is a joke, created to promote MLBs upcoming postseason, which begins September 30 with the American League Wild Card game on TBS and runs until the last out of the World Series on Fox. But that doesnt make Cranstons performance any less amazing, or the faux behind-the-scenes trailer any less hilarious.

With this show, in a very personal way, I get to make my dream come true, Cranston says, choking back mock tears. What can I say? This is the postseason.