Bill Nunn, Do the Right Thing Actor, Dead at 62


Bill Nunn, the actor best known for his roles as Radio Raheem in Do the Right Thing and the Duh Duh Duh Man in New Jack City, died Saturday in his native Pittsburgh. He was 62.

Spike Lee, Nunns friend from Morehouse College who cast the actor in 1988s School Daze, Nunns first role, first announced that Nunn had died Saturday morning. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette also reported that sources close to the citys theater community and Nunns family confirmed the actors death. Nunns wife told The Associated Press that the actor had been battling cancer.

My dear friend, My dear Morehouse brother Da great actor Bill Nunn as most of you know him as Radio Raheem passed away this morning in his hometown Of Pittsburgh, Lee wrote. Long Live Bill Nunn. Radio Raheem is now resting in power. Radio Raheem will always be fighting da powers dat be. May God Watch over Bill Nunn.

Fight the Power: Spike Lee on 'Do the Right Thing'Thurston Moore: 5 Songs That Influenced Me Early OnSee 13 Rare Images From New Jim Marshall Book, 'Show Me the Picture'

Bill Nunn was a friend, yet I knew him as such an accomplished actor who led Spike Lees Renaissance of Black cinema roles, Chuck D tells Rolling Stone.That role of Radio Raheem is the symbolic logo for Public Enemys Fight the Power.' The groups incendiary 1989 classic became both the primary soundtrack cut offDo the Right Thing and Radio Raheems de facto anthem.

It was at Morehouse that Nunn discovered his passion for acting after considering a career in political science and majoring in English; his father William Nunn was a journalist and NFL scout for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I didnt know what the heck I wanted to do really, Nunn told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 2007. When I got that theater bug that was my heart. Thats what I found I had a passion for.

A year after School Daze, Lee cast Nunn in the actors most memorable role as the boombox-toting, Public Enemy-blasting Radio Raheem in the directors 1989 breakout Do the Right Thing. The actor also appeared in Lees Mo Better Blues and He Got Game.

Nunn was also known for his role of the stuttering enforcer in the 1991 gangster film New Jack City. I still get Duh Duh Duh Man in the grocery store and all that. To this day, 25 years later. Once a week, if not more, Nunn told Eurweb in April. I get a lot of Duh Duh Duh man love. I dont think its taken over Radio Raheem, but its become really memorable though to people.

Although Nunns physically imposing figure made him a natural fit for tough guy roles, the actor showcased his softer times in films like Regarding Henry, Legend of 1900 and the Tobey Maguire-starring Spider-Man trilogy, where Nunn played sympathetic Daily Bugle editor Robbie Robertson.

My Dear Friend, My Dear Morehouse Brother- Da Great Actor Bill Nunn As Most Of You Know Him As Radio Raheem Passed Away This Morning In His Hometown Of Pittsburgh. Long Live Bill NUNN. RADIO RAHEEM Is Now RESTING IN POWER. RADIO RAHEEM WILL ALWAYS BE FIGHTING DA POWERS DAT BE. MAY GOD WATCH OVER BILL NUNN.

A photo posted by Spike Lee (@officialspikelee) on

Radio Raheem. Let me tell you the story of Right Hand, Left Hand. Its a tale of good and evil. Hate! It was with this hand that Cane iced his brother. Love! These five fingers, they go straight to the soul of man. The right hand: the hand of love. The story of life is this: static. One hand is always fighting the other hand, and the left hand is kicking much ass. I mean, it looks like the right hand, Love is finished. But hold on, stop the presses the right hand is coming back. Yeah, he got the left hand on the ropes, now, thats right. Yea, Boom, its a devastating right and Hate is hurt, hes down. Ooh! Ooh! Left-Hand Hate KOed by Love. If I love you, I love you. But if I hate youMookie: there it is, Love and Hate. Raheem I love you bruh

A photo posted by Spike Lee (@officialspikelee) on