Song You Need To Know: Cousin Stizz, Soso Featuring $ean Wire


Cousin Stizzs has a tendency to take the path of least resistance. Stylistically, thats a strength. His blunt lyrics fit within a crisp, relaxed delivery, which ultimately settle into a straightforward flow. On his latest album, Trying To Find My Next Thrill, the equation works as the Boston rapper tries to situate a myriad of genres, moods, and subjects into a 43-minute timespan.

Soso, featuring $ean Wire, is the project at its most effortless thats largely thanks to the duos innate chemistry. Both musicians hail from Boston, a locale thats intertwined throughout Stizzs music. The way I walk, the way I talk, the way I act, the way I think, the way I react, you know? Its all my neighborhood, Stizz told 90.9 WBUR about growing up in Dorchester. Stizz and Wire function at different poles. Where Cousins voice is gruff, the latters vocals are smoothly processed as he anchors Sosos bridge and hook with the goofy declaration, They dont know shit about me / I got the Midas touch. Thankfully, it frees up Cousin to deliver one of the albums most potent verses. Halfway through his performance, Stizz abandons his typical measured flow for a rapid blast about sneakers and ice water and other rapper things.

Find a playlist of all of our recent Songs You Need to Know selectionson Spotify.