Rebecca Hall Donates Salary From New Woody Allen Film to Times Up


Actress Rebecca Hall, who appears in Woody Allens next film A Rainy Day in New York, announced she would donate her salary from that movie to the Times Up legal defense fund.

The actress, who also appeared in the directors 2008 film Vicky Cristina Barcelona, added that she wouldnt work with the filmmaker again after reading and re-reading [Allens daughters] Dylan Farrows statements of a few days ago. Farrow has accused Allen of sexually abusing her as a child.

I see, not only how complicated this matter is, but that my actions have made another woman feel silenced and dismissed, Hall wrote on Instagram of working with Allen. That is not something that sits easily with me in the current or indeed any moment, and I am profoundly sorry. I regret this decision and wouldnt make the same one today.

Hall said that she was initially excited to work with Allen again because he gave me one of my first significant roles in film and the new movie was filming in New York, her hometown.

Dylan Farrow Hopes 'Time's Up' Movement Will Affect Woody AllenSee 13 Rare Images From New Jim Marshall Book, 'Show Me the Picture'Top 30 Stephen King Movies, Ranked

The day after the Weinstein accusation broke in full force I was shooting a day of work on Woody Allens latest movie in New York. I couldnt have imagined somewhere stranger to be that day, Hall wrote. I have, however subsequently realized there is nothing easy about any of this. In the weeks following I have thought very deeply about this decision, and remain conflicted and saddened.

As a small gesture, Hall said she would donate her Rainy Day in New York wage to Times Up. Ive also signed up, will continue to donate, and look forward to working with and being part of this positive movement towards change not just in Hollywood but hopefully everywhere, the actress wrote.

Halls statement comes three days after Greta Gerwig, who appeared in Allens 2012 film To Rome With Love, similarly expressed regret about working with the director. If I had known then what I know now, I would not have acted in the film. I have not worked for him again, and I will not work for him again, Gerwig said. Dylan Farrows two different pieces made me realize that I increased another womans pain, and I was heartbroken by that realization. I grew up on his movies, and they have informed me as an artist, and I cannot change that fact now, but I can make different decisions moving forward.

See Halls Instagram post below:

The day after the Weinstein accusation broke in full force I was shooting a day of work on Woody Allens latest movie in New York. I couldnt have imagined somewhere stranger to be that day. When asked to do so, some seven months ago, I quickly said yes. He gave me one of my first significant roles in film for which I have always been grateful, it was one day in my hometown easy. I have, however subsequently realized there is nothing easy about any of this. In the weeks following I have thought very deeply about this decision, and remain conflicted and saddened. After reading and re-reading Dylan Farrows statements of a few days ago and going back and reading the older ones I see, not only how complicated this matter is, but that my actions have made another woman feel silenced and dismissed. That is not something that sits easily with me in the current or indeed any moment, and I am profoundly sorry. I regret this decision and wouldnt make the same one today. Its a small gesture and not one intended as close to compensation but Ive donated my wage to @timesup. Ive also signed up, will continue to donate, and look forward to working with and being part of this positive movement towards change not just in Hollywood but hopefully everywhere. #timesup

A post shared by Rebecca Hall (@rebeccahall) on