Mandy Moore on Ryan Adams Marriage: I Was Living My Life for Him


Mandy Moore appeared onWTF With Marc Maron podcast on Monday, where shediscussed her seven-year marriage with singer-songwriter Ryan Adams, whom she and several women have accused of emotional abuse and sexual misconduct in a New York Times expos. Adams has denied the allegations.

I was living my life for him, the This is Us star, who met Adams when she 23, said. It [was] an entirely unhealthy dynamic. Oh, I had no sense of self. I was imperceptible, I was so small in my own world. She described her feelings during their marriage as drowning and added that it was so untenable and unsustainable and it was so lonely. I was so sad. I was lonely with him, which eventually led to the relationships demise. She filed for divorce in 2015.

In the Times article, Moore said Adams was psychologically abusive and manipulated her career by discouraging her from working with other producers. His controlling behavior essentially did block my ability to make new connections in the industry during a very pivotal and potentially lucrative time my entire mid-to-late 20s, Moore told theTimes. Moore has not released an album since 2009, which includes the entirety of her marriage to Adams.

She told Maron that she plans to work on an album with her husband Taylor Goldsmith and Blake Mills while she is on break from shooting This is Us. She described the songs as being very personal.

I mean, I feel like Ive lived a life in the last 10 years, she said. I have got plenty to say.