Donald Glover Was Too Intimidated to Sing Next to Beyonce for The Lion King


Donald Glover admitted on Tuesdays Jimmy Kimmel Live that he was too nervous to sing in the same room as Beyonc for the upcoming Lion King remake. I requested not to be, he said with a laugh. I did not want to be looking into Beyoncs eyes while doing this.

Glover, who voices the older Simba in the photorealistic, computer-animated film, duets with the singer on a cover of the Grammy-winning Elton John/Tim Rice classic Can You Feel the Love Tonight. But he preferred to record his vocals separately. I imagine its less intimidating playing basketball with Michael Jordan if youre at home just throwing pieces of paper in the trash, he joked.

The actor-writer-musician, decked out in a lion costume, told Kimmel he planned to show the film to his young son, whom he hoped could detect his fathers voice. Before they could get to that point, Glover was overshadowed by Beyoncs star power.

I was like, OK, you know what, Im not gonna tell him Im just gonna play it super cool,' he said. My son doesnt watch TV, doesnt have commercials. We basically just show one movie once a week if he wants. Yesterday, out of nowhere, I was like, Hey, you wanna go see The Lion King? Just to see if he might notice my voice or whatever. He was like, Oh, sure. Beyoncs in it, right? I was like, How did you know that? But also daddys in it. Im in it too! Im just saying Beyonc has people who havent even television loving her. Shes incredible.

Glover is prepping to play a handful of Childish Gambino shows in Australia, rescheduling due to a 2018 foot injury. That same year, he teased plans to retire the project, and hes not sure what the future holds beyond his upcoming dates. I think Im gonna still do shows, he said. Im not quite sure I really love making music.