The Private Jet-Free Life of Bar Paly


Bar Paly isnt a household name. . . yet. In fact, the Israeli actress, who got her start in the 2008 horror film The Ruins, was a bit of an enigma on the set of this springs action hit, Pain and Gain.

Which of This Summers Biggest Movies Have You Seen?

My first day, I went to the gym and saw Anthony Mackie there,Paly tells Rolling Stone. I came up and said, Hey, Anthony! Whats up? How are you? and he totally didnt recognize me. He stepped back and thought I was some crazy fan.

Perhaps its Palys confidence that makes this embarrassing story so instantly endearing. Or maybe its her infectious laugh, an adorable little chuckle that makes even the biggest, strongest stars (like her Pain and Gain co-stars Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson) melt like butter. Whatever it is, her days of not being recognized are coming to an end. Palys landed significant roles in two high-profile films due next year. The actress, 28, is set to star alongside Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore in Jaume Collet-Serras thriller Non-Stop, and will also play Jon Hamms over-the-top girlfriend in Craig Gillespies Million Dollar Arm.

Born in Russia, Paly moved to Israel when she was seven, where she remained for 10 years before transitioning to New York. We had different problems over there, she says about her home country. People mature a little younger. A modeling career blossomed after her move east, but Paly knew all along it was merely a stepping-stone to Hollywood.

My mother recently told me that ever since I was three, I always said I wanted to be an actress, she says. I was fortunate enough to model, but it was always work for me. It was a way to support myself and finance acting classes.

See Matt Damons Physical Evolution from Courage Under Fire to Elysium

And quite an actress she has become. You dont land the type of gigs Paly has landed just by being another pretty face. Youve got to have chops. In Pain and Gain (available on Blu-ray and DVD now), Paly plays stripper Sorina Luminita, bringing unexpected levels of depth and humor to the based-on-a-true-story character.

Sorina comes across as this very beautiful but maybe not the brightest earnest person, Paly says. I wanted to bring all these characteristics to her. Paly isnt just eye candy in director Michael Bays world. Instead, shes one of the funniest things about the film. And while she might have gotten her start in the horror genre, shes most comfortable making people laugh.

I really, really enjoy comedy. I think thats one of my strong suits. Its my zone. And people dont expect it from me, which is a whammy.

Paly admits that shes not quite ready for everything thatll come with being the breakout star shes positioned to become, but shes going to do her best to stay the same geeky little girl she was back in Israel.

I didnt buy a private jet, she says with that adorable laugh of hers. And Im still going to do my own laundry.