See Cody Johnsons No-Frills On My Way to You on Today


Cody Johnson made his debut on NBCs Today show Wednesday morning with a stripped-down version of the romantic On My Way to You, backed by fiddle and acoustic guitar. In his pre-performance interview, Johnson noted the personal parallels in the songs lyrics and the strengthening of his relationship with his wife and family, as well as his own remarkable professional journey as one of country musics most successful indie artists of the past decade.

Johnsons CoJo Music, now partnered with heavy-hitting major label Warner Music Nashville, will co-release his latest album, Aint Nothin to It on Friday, January 18th, having already reached over 25 million streams and sold nearly 240,000 track equivalents of the LPs first single. His previous album, the self-released Gotta Be Me in 2016, reached Number Two on Billboards country album chart.

Asked to identify what makes a good country song, Johnson told the hosts, For me, its authenticity. I dont sing music I dont believe in. Even if its a fun song it has to be real. If it doesnt have that realism its kind of hard to sing for me.

Aint Nothin to It is available for pre-order, accompanied by five instant-grat tracks songs available to download: On My Way To You, Fenceposts, Long Haired Country Boy, Monday Morning Merle and Dear Rodeo.