Jared Leto References Pubes, Thirty Seconds to Mars in Globes Speech


Actor Jared Leto expressed gratitude for, uh, pubic hair during the acceptance speech for his first-ever Golden Globe award tonight for his role in Dallas Buyers Club. Im just fortunate it was a period piece, and I didnt have to do a full Brazilian, he said. Ladies you know what Im talkin about and so do some of you men, I think.

See the Hottest Live Photos From the Golden Globe Awards Red Carpet

Leto won the award for his role in Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture. His comment came after he riffed on one of hostess Amy Poehlers jokes about prosthetic genitalia: That tiny little Brazilian bubble butt was all mine, Leto said.

The actor won the award for his portrayal of a transgender, AIDS-positive woman named Rayon in Dallas Buyers Club was his first major acting role since the 2009 movie Mr. Nobody. It was a very transformative role, he said in his acceptance speech. I had to do a lot of things to prepare. One of the things I did was wax my entire body, including my eyebrows. Then he went on to detail the rest of his body. He beat out Bradley Cooper (American Hustle), Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave), Daniel Bruhl (Rush) and Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips) for the trophy.

Watch Bono and Amy Poehlers Shocking Golden Globes Makeout

I didnt make a film for almost six years. I was pursuing other dreams, he said, likely referencing his moonlighting gig as the frontman of Thirty Seconds to Mars. And I just have to say it: its more than an honor to come back and have this love and this support. I never expected it. I never even dreamed of it.

In aninterview withRolling Stoneearlier this year, Leto discussed just how transformative it was for him to play Rayon inDallas Buyers Club. The only way I can do what I do is by going headfirst and diving deep, Leto said. I get out what I put in. If youre playing a transsexual drug addict dying of AIDS with a dialect, with all those circumstances and emotional conditions, I dont understand how you can let all that go when someone says, Cut.'

How Jacqueline Bisset Went Viral at the Golden Globes

Within the past five years or so, Thirty Seconds to Mars have issued two albums, 2009s This Is War and 2013s Love, Lust, Faith and Dreams. The groups documentary, Artifact, won a Peoples Choice Award in Toronto in 2012. Most recently, he united his music and acting worlds in the video for the song City of Angels, which featured appearances by the likes of Kanye West, Lindsay Lohan and James Franco, among many, many others.

Leto ended his speech by offering, To the Rayons of the world, thanks for the inspiration.