Watch Kelsey Grammer Explain the Origins of Sideshow Bob


Kelsey Grammer explained the origins of the low, melodious voice of Sideshow Bob and explained how singing Tony Bennett songs on the set of Cheers earned him the role as the beloved Simpsonsvillain.

During an interview on the BBCs The Graham Norton Show, Grammer explained that he was offered the role of Sideshow Bob through Sam Simon, the lateSimpsons co-creator, and a former writer and producer for Cheers. When The Simpsons staff decided to give Sideshow Bob a voice (hed previously been seen as Krusty the Clowns sidekick, but not heard), Simon recalled Grammers Bennett-esque belting and offered him the role, since it required a performance of Cole Porters Evry Time We Say Goodbye.Grammer agreed, andafter reading the script, realized avoice based on famed theater actor Ellis Rabb was perfect for the pompous Sideshow Bob.

When I was working for [Rabb], I was paintinghis bathroom and hanging wallpaper and stuff like that I wasnt really a successful actor at the time, Grammer recalled, before easing into Sideshow Bobs familiar voice. But Ellis would regale me with stories when he came home from work, and he would say things like this: Ohh, Kelsey, that baby should have been mine. And I thought, This guy Im gonna use him someday. And when I read the script for Sideshow Bob, I said, This is Ellis Rabb, and I went immediately into, Ohh Bart, I just despiseyou.'