Larry Wilmore: Best Racial Stuff Happens After Show Cancellation


Larry Wilmore is still frustrated about the cancellation of his Comedy Central series The Nightly Show partly because he missed the chance to lampoon so many noteworthy headlines. Im very upset that they did cancel a brothers show when all the best, worst racial stuff started happening, he told Stephen Colbert Thursday on The Late Show. Hillary calls Trump a bigot; he calls her a bigot. Hes going on his Mexican tour right now. Youve got a quarterback who wont stand for the National Anthem All the best racial stuff happens now when I lose my show.

Wilmore kept it 100 throughout his Late Show sit-down, saying he regrets missing out on the full election cycle. I am very disappointed about it, he said. I thought wed be on through the election. You never know whats gonna happen. Its real tough when youre doing a TV show youre thankful that youre doing a TV show, but we hadnt talked to them for awhile. It was almost like youre in a relationship, but you were the one who didnt know [that somethings wrong] Im very sad for it, but Im very proud of the work that we did. I like to live in the abundance of being grateful for what we had to do, and hopefully I can do something like that again some time.

Larry Wilmore on Colbert Takeover: 'Replacing Stephen Is Impossible'40 Greatest Animated Movies Ever50 Country Albums Every Rock Fan Should Own

The comedian also relayed Nightly Show executive producer Jon Stewarts words of wisdom, discussed the unblackening of the Oval Office and joked with Colbert about the pressures of hosting the White House Correspondents Dinner. I was very inspired by Stephen, Wilmore said. When you called President Bush your nigga, I could not believe you did that. I thought it was very brave.

Wilmore opened the episode by stealing Colberts monologue. I thought whoever leaves Comedy Central at 11:30 just gets The Late Show, he said.